What you need to know
- Children with SMS may be absent due to illness and/or medical appointments.
- Sleep disturbances are characterized by fragmented and shortened sleep cycles with frequent nocturnal and early morning awakening and excessive day-time sleepiness.
What you can do
- Help to make transitions in and out of school as seamless as possible.
- Help provide a supportive educational environment. This may include fining a space where the child can rest or take breaks throughout the day.
- Be aware that a child with SMS may need to take medication to manage his or her sleep disorder.