What you need to know
- Children with LSD may be absent due to surgery, illness and/or medical appointment.
- Fatigue may be a symptom of a condition (like Gaucher) or may be a side effect from disordered sleep.
What you can do
- Help to make transitions in and out of school as seamless as possible.
- Allow extra time for assignments and/or provide make up work as needed.
- Make accommodations for resting or taking breaks.
- Have peers share class notes.
- Monitor work so that it is challenging, but there are attainable and realistic goals
- Plan for absences and consider tutoring.
- Communication with parents is important to meet these challenges.
- Children with LSDs may be tired and require rest opportunities or breaks in their day.