What you need to know
- People with PWS will need to be monitored to avoid foraging for food or stealing money to buy food.
- During meal times, it is important to watch child’s eating as choking has been reported.
- Any change in routine may produce anxiety, fears, and/or worry. Even a fun activity can produce anxiety and resulting behavioral challenges. Crowds and loud noise may be overwhelming to some people.
- If you live in New England (USA) and qualify, Northeast Passage offers Therapeutic Recreation and Adaptive Sports programming.
What you can do
- Be proactive and discuss any change in schedule or setting with the child ahead of time.
- Use social stories and pictures to help them understand the change.
- Role play different social settings and appropriate behavior.