What you need to know
Individuals with Rett/Rett variant or MECP2 related disorder should have neuropsychological evaluations to assess abilities and offer support for behavior challenges.
- Seemingly inappropriate laughing or long bouts of laughter
- Sudden, odd facial expressions
- Screaming that occurs for no apparent reason/screaming spells
- Hand licking
- Grasping of hair or clothing
- Increasing agitation and irritability as the child ages
- Social opportunities allow children to express a broad range of feelings and form close bonds and real friendships with others.
- They should be part of typical family and class activities, household chores, and perform daily living skills.
- Learn their interests and preferences.
- Behavioral supports may be helpful in limiting the less desirable behaviors that are socially disruptive and/or self-injurious.
What you can do
- Make sure teaching strategies being used are appropriate for children who are already socially engaged.
Be proactive with behavioral supports.
- Discuss involvement of behavioral or mental health professionals, and/or medications with the parents as needed.
- Firm directions, rules, and clear expectations are helpful.
Many children have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior. This is especially true when handling unplanned changes.
- Talk through expected changes.
- The child usually thrives with consistency and routine. The child can be easily upset with disruption.
- Prepare for any change in schedule.
- Provide a safe area to share emotions.
- Teach and model use of words and/or pictures in sharing emotions.
- Teach, emphasize, and reinforce behaviors you want to see.
- Make sure the child has an effective communication system.
Provide social cues and coaching.
- Provide information to and discuss differences with the child’s peers.
- Help develop confidence and focus on strengths.
- Provide positive reinforcement.
- Teach how to recognize facial expressions, body language, and moods in others.
- Teach how to regulate own body – sensory strategies may be helpful.