What you need to know
- Hypotonia (low muscle tone) is sometimes still an issue in the school years and may impact the child’s ability to participate in a physical education program.
- Special accommodations needed for individuals who have 22q deletion syndrome are dependent on the individual child.
- A child with 22q deletion with ADHD or executive function challenges, may wander or be confused on a field trip.
- Speech difficulties may make field trips and special events more challenging.
- If you live in New England (USA) and qualify, Northeast Passage offers Therapeutic Recreation and Adaptive Sports programming.
What you can do
- Involving the parent in the planning is important so that the special needs for special events or field trips can be addressed.
- Assist in developing an adaptive physical education program if needed.