What you need to know
- Changes in routine may produce anxiety, fears, and/or worry. Crowds and loud noise may be difficult for some children, or conversely, might be enjoyable.
- If you live in New England (USA) and qualify, Northeast Passage offers Therapeutic Recreation and Adaptive Sports programming.
What you can do
- Use preventative strategies
- Be proactive and discuss any change in schedule or setting with the child ahead of time.
- Use social stories and pictures to help them understand the change.
- Encourage use of their communication system to help them process concerns.