National Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine
The Roundtable on Genomics and Precision Health will host an afternoon Twitter Chat on Thursday, June 21 as part of its workshop on understanding disparities in access to genetic and genomic services.
What is a Twitter Chat?
A Twitter chat is a public discussion on Twitter around a specific hashtag, in our case #GenomicsDisparities. Twitter chats are led by a designated moderator—NASEM Health and Medicine Division—who asks questions and facilitates the discussion at a predetermined time.
- Hashtag: #GenomicsDisparities
- Host: @NASEM_Health
- Date: June 21, 2018
- Time: 2:00-2:45pm ET
How can I participate?
The chat is open to any interested individuals with a Twitter account, but we encourage those who will be attending the June 27 workshop on Understanding Disparities in Access to Genomic Medicine to participate, as this will help jumpstart the discussion. @NASEM_Health will tweet the following questions starting at 2:00pm ET inviting participants to tweet their responses and open a thoughtful dialogue on the topic.
Spread the word: Join @NASEM_Health on 6/21 @2:00pm ET for a Twitter chat on understanding disparities in access to genomic medicine #GenomicsDisparities
- Q1: What are the biggest challenges faced by #patients when they are trying to access genetics-based services (i.e., genetic tests and counseling)? #GenomicsDisparities
- Q2: What are some ways to increase access to #genetics services in medically #underserved and minority communities? #GenomicsDisparities
- Q3: How can health systems and providers, including those who work at community clinics, take steps to provide better access to #genetics services? #GenomicsDisparities
- Q4: Are there lessons we can learn from other areas of #medicine or #technology about how to provide equitable access to #genetics services? #GenomicsDisparities
- Use the hashtag #GenomicsDisparities when answering questions and replying to others participating in the chat.
- When responding to questions, use A1, A2, A3, and A4 to indicate which question you are answering.
- If possible, plan your answers in advance, this will allow you to engage with others in real time.